Wednesday 11 July 2012

830 Sign: From Denim Company To Lifestyle Brand

published in: Fashion Design, 11 Jul 2012


830 Sign evolved from a denim company to a lifestyle brand founded in Italy in 2008.  Its name is not at all random, but rather stems from a very personal 'source' by its founder, Giulia Spiller. "The name comes from my dad’s birthday and mine," Spiller explains. "I was born 12.30.83, and  he was born 8.30.50 so 8 30 is in both our dates and since we both believe in signs....Dadadadan the name!" As Giulia's family owns a manufacturing company it came natural to her to follow into the family's steps and create her own clothing line.


The brand initially launched with individual items. It wasn't until a party that Giulia met Mariavittoria Soldi, the current designer of the company. "We actually knew each other already since school," says Spiller. "She was in the class next to mine. So we started talking and drinking and I asked her to come work with me." Thus, a new partnership began, and in 2011, 830 Sign debuted its first ready to wear collection, man and woman, inheriting the manufacturing experience from the past generation.


Mariavittoria is responsible for the great designs, but both women choose the fabrics together: "Since I also do the sales we choose together the items and you can totally see that the collection is exactly a mix of us," Giulia says. All pieces are made in Italy, working with important Italian and Japanese suppliers on fabrics.


Streamlining trends with a modern take on classics, the identity of the brand evolves with the consumer. Always inspired by arts, architecture and anatomy, the collections appeal to versatile and avant-garde minds who truly understand their own sense of style. The ultimate goal for 830 Sign is to design unique yet wearable, modern yet timeless pieces. Easy, chic, youthful but understated with a premium hand and attention to detail is the brand's ethos.


For Autumn/Winter 2012-13, 830 Sign's collection is inspired by contemporary art and youth culture. Signature prints and fabrications, it's all about movement, fragmentation, fading. Movement  as a way to follow this evolving era, where everything around us is constantly changing, thus bringing renewal and growth.


Confident yet charming and relaxed, the 830 Sign woman favors a blend of texture and materials to layer into her outfit. Mixing denim, silk and wool in contrasting colours with ease. Navy, powdery grey, bold peacock blue and bright accent of paprika define 830 Sign palette. Abstract prints and pixelated costume inspired developed jacquards race across silky blouses and knitwear highlighting the collection’s sophistication.


Styles include simply chic blouses, pleated tops and baggy trousers in both flowy and austere silhouettes, with an accent on waist and shoulders, thus evoking a subtle quote of the 80's shapes, tailored with a sense of refined ease. Supple but structured coats in double weight wool conjure up a decidedly urban flair.


The overall attitude for 830 Sign this autumn/winter season is modern and feminine with spontaneous charm for looks that embody sense of wearable luxury that has become the brand signature. 


It has to be said that Giulia is one of the sweetest people I've met and interviewed, and from all the emailing back and forth you can totally tell that she not only cares about her brand, but also that her whole heart is set on it.  Both Giulia, with her entrepreneurial spirit, as well as Mariavittoria, the creative brains behind the designs, answered our questions and behold the results:
Fashion-Pixel: What is your personal style when it comes to dressing?
Mariavittoria Soldi: I like to define my style as “unconventional minimal,” clean but with a touch of  my own personality.
Giulia Spiller: Everyday? Like every morning when I wake up and I'm already late and I have to run to the office? Well like Mariavittoria “unconventional minimal,” but with a different point of view. To me minimal means jeans, T-shirt, and shoes of every kind as long as they don’t have high heels.

F-P: What is your favourite colour?
MS: Cold charcoal.
GS: A a color to wear? Each shade of BLACK! 


F-P: Which designer do you admire?
MS: In this moment, I’m really into Coco Chanel. I love the way she managed to be always elegant with ease, nearly comfortable. “Chic” is the right word.
GS: She was born in ‘83 too... Only 100 years before me (so that’s a sign)... Dynamic, casual, boyish look... CHANEL.

F-P: Do you have a piece of jewellery that means a lot to you? What is it? If you want, tell us why is it so important to you?
MS: I wear almost everyday a bracelet that I love because it’s the perfect synthesis of my vision of fashion: clean, simple and functional, but interesting at the same time. It’s made of two half circles, kept together by a simple little chain, which prevents you from losing it in case it opens. I find it genius. My boyfriend bought it for me in a small creepy shop in Cologne, Germany, and this makes it even more special. It’s the cheapest and most beautiful present I received from him, thus, showing that precious things don’t necessarily need to be expensive.
GS: It’s a sort of wedding ring with little tiny diamonds, but instead of having my Mr. X future husband name carved in, there is written “NONNO” (grandpa)... He was really sick and he knew that that was his last present. He gave it to me for Christmas and I always wear it!! 

F-P: What are you going to buy next for your wardrobe? Where from?
MS: I’m in love with a pair of lace-up shoes, from Yohji Yamamoto. I think it’s definitely going to be my next buy.
GS: Unfortunately the next buy will be a pair of high heels, because I have to go to a wedding... But high heels are either stunning or comfortable, so I’ll buy another beautiful pair of high heels that I’ll wear until we start dancing.

F-P: What is your favourite outfit?
MS: Actually I don’t have a “favourite outfit”, it always depends on my personal mood in that period of my life. Right in these last days I feel perfect in a vintage checked cotton trouser by Kenzo, white cotton T-shirt and a light cashmere sweater on top. It’s the right compromise to welcome summer in these last days of Spring.
GS: Favourite outfit... If I could I would live on an exotic island, so I would wear a bikini, a wrap, my sunscreen, sand, sun, and being barefoot.


F-P: Do you usually buy clothes from your trips abroad?
MS: Not necessarily, it happens only if I find something really special.
GS: Yes, and I usually look for that versatile item that I can wear for different occasions.

F-P: What piece would you place in a fashion museum?
MS: You mean something that I bought? If yes, an asymmetrical sleeveless mint dress from Maison Martin Margiela. In the front it’s long to the floor, in the back just under the knee; Three friends of mine put it on, and it was stunning on each of them. The fit, the fabric, the colour, every little detail make it special and perfect.
GS: Do you mean something that belongs to me? Well then my Dr. Martens for sure... I have them since I was 11. They are destroyed but I’m still wearing them.


F-P: What is a key item that all wardrobes should have?
MS: A fine gauge silk turtleneck sweater.
GS: Something that you can compare to the morning lotion? A pair of jeans.

F-P: Would you like to live in another era?
MS: Sometimes I would like to slip back to the 20’s. In terms of fashion, I think it was the most elegant era for both man and woman.
GS: Not really, but sometimes I wish I could move to another planet.


F-P: What inspires you?
MS: Most of my inspiration comes from nature. Each texture, colour, shape you can imagine, is already around us, you only need to find it out and translate it in your own way. Beside that, also architecture, music, photography, art and design are very inspiring for my job, but in a different way; they somehow represent the results of someone else thought,  so you don’t start from something “pure”. In this case I do a sort of “going back to the roots” process: I approach an artist only if his own work is the expression of the same inspiration I’m into that moment, and I go back to the start, to understand why he chose that particular way to express his concept. It’s amazing how many different results you can achieve, starting from the same idea.
GS: LIFE.

F-P: What is your favourite material to use?
MS: I find polyester one of the most versatile material existing; Japanese suppliers are very good with that, you see fabrics so different form each other, you can’t imagine they come from the same starting composition.
GS: I leave this one to Mariavittoria.



F-P: What is your fashion fetish?
MS: Fashion books are actually my fetish.
GS: I don’t really have a fashion obsession or fetish.. Does that mean that I’m not fashion?!? If yes... OH YES!!

F-P: What is your latest fashion obsession?
MS: Vintage pieces from Issey Miyake. It’s not easy to find them, but once I have one in my hand it takes at least half an hour to study the pattern… amazing!



F-P: How do you determine what is chic?
MS: Chic is the perfect balance between pure (in terms of design), rich (in terms of material and workmanship), unaffected.
GS: Chic is that little something that makes the difference that either you have it or not... And if you don’t have it, you don’t! Period! You can’t buy it!!

F-P: Is there anything else you would like to share with our readers?
MS: My personal rule when I dress up: always wear something that makes people look up to you, not stare at you.
GS: We are talking about fashion... Unfortunately we won’t save the world... So don’t follow any rule!


All images courtesy of 830 Sign©


No comments:

Post a Comment