Thursday 19 July 2012

Maraveya: Simple Yet Elegant Lines With A Touch Of Girly

published in: Fashion Design, 19 Jul 2012
Athens based designer Vivianna Maravegias has always found inspiration in lifestyles and cultures. While studying Interior Design at Pratt Institute in New York City, she also involved herself with fashion, working at fashion trade fairs, as a buyer, and interning for label Alice and Olivia. After receiving her degree Vivianna moved back to Greece and decided to pursue fashion as a career. Her debut collection for Maraveya Spring/Summer 2012 is inspired by her own upbringing, which is defined by a balance of city life and island time. Her collection targets young women with modern ambition, who alter between the structure of city living to a more loose and free spirited lifestyle, while always remaining effortlessly chic and feminine.

Her native Greece, and specifically the Aegean islands, define her vision of summer and became the leading inspiration in her color palette and fabric range for the collection. The outcome is a range of casual to night-time garments, that can be dressed up or down to cater to various lifestyles and circumstances that are an inevitable part of modern living. Maraveya's lines are simple yet elegant and romantic with a girly feel to them. Earthy tones and prints compliment the practical clean-cut tailoring, making each piece of the collection perfect for summer getaways and candlelit dinners by the sea.

Vivianna took our questionnaire and now is the time to reveal the woman behind the myth:



Fashion-Pixel: What is your personal style when it comes to dressing?
Vivianna Maravegias: My personal style shows a lot through my designs. I love clean lines and loose fitted garments. I’m a big fan of minimal dressing and clothes that can be transformed by layering or adding the right accessory, handbag, or shoe.

F-P: What is your favourite colour?
VM: I LOVE WHITE! But many would argue that it’s not a colour, so I’ll say blue.


F-P: Which designer do you admire?
VM: Do I have to choose just one? There are so many designers that I admire for separate reasons. If I have to choose one I would say Stella McCartney. Her work is truly admirable and I would wear everything she creates!

F-P: Do you have a piece of jewellery that means a lot to you? What is it? If you want, tell us why is it so important to you?
VM: The material things that mean a lot to me are always linked to people or places. I have a ring that I wear all the time and it was a gift from someone very close to me who I respect, love, and admire very much. Apart from that I have a lot of pieces that are beautiful reminders of the places I have traveled and the amazing experiences I’ve had.



F-P: What are you going to buy next for your wardrobe? Where from?
VM: Summer is coming and it’s my favourite season! I have a few things on my shopping list. I want to get some pastel coloured shorts (preferably high-waisted… LOVE HIGH WAISTLINES), light day dresses, and sandals! I’m obsessed with online shopping and usually shop on shopbop.com, nastygal.com, or asos.com.

F-P: What is your favourite outfit?
VM: I love rompers! I wear them all the time and with a nice jacket (leather, jean), sweater, vest, or belt, you can change the look entirely. This season I’ve worn the “nikki” romper from my collection a lot during the day and at night. Its so comfortable and chic.


F-P: Do you usually buy clothes from your trips abroad?
VM: Yes! All the time! I love traveling and observing what people like and appreciate in different places. And of course I always find something to fit into my wardrobe no matter where I go.

F-P: What piece would you place in a fashion museum?
VM: I haven’t yet designed a piece that I would want to place in a fashion museum. But if I were given the chance to design something I would design a handbag.


F-P: What is a key item that all wardrobes should have?
VM: Black jeans!

F-P: Would you like to live in another era?
VM: No, I’m pretty content with the era I live in. Of course, I don’t know any different… but I think that every era had its good and its bad just like ours does, and usually when we look back in time we tend to beautify everything. So I’m more into living today and working to create a beautiful tomorrow.


F-P: What inspires you?
VM: Traveling. I am always inspired by cultures and places. I’m intrigued by ways of life and how different life is for everyone around the world. It is also very interesting for me to observe how fashions transforms depending on the country or region.

F-P: What is your favourite material to use?
VM: I love silk. (Silk chiffon, silk georgette, crepe silk… I LOVE IT ALL)


F-P: What is your fashion fetish?
VM: Dresses! For some reason my closet is full of dresses, and lacks casual clothing. I’m also obsessed with shoes and handbags. The problem is that everything that has to do with styling and creating a “look” becomes my fetish. Fashion is less about individual pieces and more about how you put things together, so everything is equally as important.

F-P: What is your latest fashion obsession?
VM: To be honest… Yosi Samra flats! I discovered them on shopbop.com, tried a pair and ever since I’ve been wearing only YOSI. They have a great fit, they are amazingly comfortable, and are available in all sorts of colors and combos!


F-P: How do you determine what is chic?
VM: It has a lot to do with knowing how to dress for your body type and not dressing to show your body. It’s also a matter of balancing colors, shapes, and accessories.

F-P: Is there anything else you would like to share with our readers?
VM: Fashion is about looking good but even more so about feeling good! So have fun with it!


All images courtesy of Vivianna Maravegias©


 

No comments:

Post a Comment