Friday 30 November 2012

The Double Life Of The Talented Grace Cook

published in: Fashion Illustration, 30 Nov 2012
Of course we don't mean anything naughty by saying that our protagonist for the day leads a double life. Au contraire, Grace Cook is a young fashion spirit that studies fashion design at De Montfort University in Leicester by day, and on the side turns to fashion illustration to help her to fundraise for her final collection and to get the university to Graduate Fashion Week. If that is not a noble cause, then what is?



Hailing from a small village in Lincolnshire, the young designer always had a passion for fashion and design. "It’s been such a steep learning curve for me to move to a city and be part of such a work intensive course," Grace explains. "Although it’s been the hardest thing I’ve ever done it’s also been the most rewarding." Cook's talent has not gone unnoticed by giant retail brands, despite her young age. In fact she has been interviewed by Gap scouts from New York and pitched designs to Marks and Spencers buyers in their London HQ. "The amount of experience you get in both commercial and high end fashion is invaluable," she says.



Cook's illustrations are naturally inspired by her designs and other the work of other fashion designers, and even though she illustrating and selling her work for her noble cause, she seems to have been bitten by the illustration bug. "I’ve really been getting into it and would love to do it as a business," Cook confesses. But that does not mean that she'll be giving up on her fashion design dreams anytime soon either. "After my degree I have no idea what I’m going to do! I really would like my own business but I would also like to do work for different labels first."

Fashion-Pixel.com caught up with Grace to find out a bit more about her and what makes her world go round:
 
Fashion-Pixel: What is your personal style when it comes to dressing? 

Grace Cook: It’s a massive mish-mash of clothes I find interesting and different. Ever since I started learning about making and designing clothes it’s been hard to be satisfied by the standards on the high street so I often rely on vintage quality clothes and ones I have made myself.

F-P: What is your favourite color?
GC: My favourite colour is quite boring but it’s black!

F-P: Which designer do you admire?
GC: I admire Rei Kawakubo for Commes Des Garcons, I think she always does something different and makes clothing that should be ugly very beautiful. I love conceptual designers such as Issey Miyake, the Antwerp 5 and Margiela.

F-P: Do you have a piece of jewellery that means a lot to you? What is it? If you want, tell us why is it so important to you?
GC: I have a lot of jewellery that means a lot to me but the most important is my engagement ring. It’s a Citrine stone set between little diamonds on a silver mount. My now fiancee recently proposed and it’s a way of having him always with me.

F-P: What are you going to buy next for your wardrobe? Where from?
GC: I’m really pining for a pair of Dr Martens, I’m in love with the Liberty’s collaboration.

F-P: What is your favourite outfit?
GC: My favourite outfit is probably my Martin Margiela black jumpsuit paired with black platform sandals and grey faux fur coat.

F-P: Do you usually buy clothes from your trips abroad?
GC: I usually just take inspiration from clothes abroad and make my own.

F-P: What piece would you place in a fashion museum?
GC: Most pieces I can think of are already in a fashion museum!


F-P: What is a key item that all wardrobes should have?
GC: A good leather jacket, it will look good through all seasons and never goes out of fashion.

F-P: Would you like to live in another era?
GC: I think I am just right in this era to be honest. I don’t think I could live without internet and mobile phones.

F-P: What inspires you?
GC: Pretty much everything culture, music, my friends and new technology and thinking.

F-P: What is your favourite material to use?
GC: I like using a mix of materials really, I think my favourite is chiffon but it’s a bitch to sew.

F-P: What is your fashion fetish?
GC: I have always had a thing for jumpsuits and playsuits, I hope they never go out of fashion.

F-P: What is your latest fashion obsession?
GC: My latest fashion obsession is anything leather.

F-P: How do you determine what is chic?
GC: I can’t say I own anything “chic” but I think that anything beautiful in gorgeous fabrics would qualify.

F-P: Is there anything else you would like to share with our readers?
GC: I would really like to focus on my Etsy shop and try to use it as a real income after I finish university and hopefully sell my own designs and clothes.

You can buy Grace Cook's fashion illustrations here.


All images courtesy of Grace Cook©




No comments:

Post a Comment