Wednesday 31 October 2012

Leigh Viner: Illustrations of Fashion Fairytales

published in: Fashion Illustration, 31 Oct 2012

Fashion illustration, though marginalised since photography came along, has started in the past few years to gain momentum again, and many great artists are being featured in magazines or become part of collaborations with designers, organizations and the press. One of these young and talented fashion illustrators with a unique view of fashion is Denver-based and mother to a 9-year-old daughter, Leigh Viner.


Abstractions Aside

Viner's great, great uncle was known painter, James Kerr-Lawson, and her father used to paint in his spare time too, so one can say with certainty that the apple didn't fall far from the tree (lucky us!).  Leigh being shy as a child used painting as an outlet for her emotions. Her mother recognising her talent became her ultimate supporter. But it wasn't until Leigh got pregnant with her little girl and leaving a stressful full-time job that decided to take the next step and focus on her creative talents. "My daughter was close to 1 years old when I then started sharing and selling my work online," she says. Surely but steadily, Viner managed to build a devoted fan-base, that would later turn into exhibitions across the globe, commissions by magazines, collaborations with world-renowned organizations and celebrities.

Cricket
Leigh's love of photography (she is a photographer as well!), travel art and design are evident in her pieces: especially her passion for fashion and the inspiration she draws from it. Being really drawn to the editorial process her interest in the colors and clothing along with beauty is nothing surprising to her as she was a make-up artist herself "so the influence is definitely there with my art and working with the female face," she explains.

Current

Viner's acrylic and watercolour paintings are fairytale-like fashion editorials usually in candy colours that have been exhibited from New york City, to San Francisco, to Denver, to Indianapolis and Italy. Her latest exhibition was in London's DraperHouse, and next up is another group show at the beginning of Autumn in New York City also for DraperHouse. She is also currently finishing up a project with make-up giant, Max Factor, and famous make-up artist, Pat McGrath.

Fused

Viner's dreamy illustrations usually take a day to complete, while her paintings may need up to a whole week. But with results as fine as the ones displayed here, it should come as no surprise to anyone that her work can be seen in Leighton Meester's The Roomate film, as well as in TV's The Bachelorette 2012 season preview, and has been featured in the past by the likes of Elle Dutch, and Harper's Bazaar.com.

Halfway

Etsy.com and Mama-monster, Lady Gaga, also invited Leigh to help raise money for the VH1 Save the Music Foundation. But Viner's great collaborations don't end there as she was scooped up to be Unicef's official artist for the Celebrity Tap Water Initiative, where she also illustrated the limited edition Celebrity Tap Water bottles.

Nouveau

And though it is just one click away to get your hands on one of Leigh's illustration prints (you can buy them here), commissioning directly an illustration from the talented artist might be slightly more difficult as she is super busy with a gazillion other projects (but you have noting to lose if you want to try).


Atmosphere

Fashion-Pixel.com caught up with the busy mama and got her to reveal a bit more about her personal style, inspirations, and what she considers museum-worthy material in the fashion world:


Fashion-Pixel: What is your personal style when it comes to dressing?
Leigh Viner: I love a classic neutral look with a feminine touch. I tend to make use of what clothing works best on me and add a mixture of well made and basic pieces. I am definitely a shoe collector and tend to have my shoes as my staple piece most of the time.

F-P: What is your favourite color?
LV: That is hard to answer as I love so many colors as an artist, and with mood it depends, but I notice my use of pale pink more often than not.

F-P: Which designer do you admire?
LV: I love Diane von Fürstenberg! She is a wonderful role model as is Coco Chanel for me. I admire their strength as women and how they have always stayed true to their core.

F-P: Do you have a piece of jewellery that means a lot to you? What is it? If you want, tell us why is it so important to you?
LV: I have a few, one was a bracelet from my Mother that I had borrowed. I wore it almost everyday for what seems like forever, until I lost it sadly. That was back in my teens and have been trying to find something similar to replace it for her since with no luck, somethings cannot be replaced I suppose. Also I have a necklace that was worn with the same obsession that I had on with me for my first trip overseas in 2006. I still have that one. Otherwise, I am pretty simple when it comes to jewelry, small delicate pieces seem to be more of my personality.

Orange Velvet

F-P: What are you going to buy next for your wardrobe? Where from?
LV: I just bought a pair of Alexander Wang Sonja heels in black that I have had my eye on for a few months, I almost waited to long as they were sold out everywhere in my size, but by luck I checked the site to see that they actually run small and found 1 last pair. Also with Winter fast approaching, I tend to buy a statement coat that I will wear for the season, it is what I will be wearing and seen in most of the time. Not sure from where yet as I am still searching for the one.
  
F-P: What is your favourite outfit?
LV: I work from home but still I love to dress up, but I also think I need comfort to be productive most of the week. Right now for Fall, I invest in really good jeans, my favorite pairs at the moment are from Mother Denim and Citizens of Humanity with basic tees, thin sweaters which I have a few from Theyskens Theory that I wear often and ballet flats. But a few days a week I love to go all out and be a bit more creative with what I am wearing.

F-P: Do you usually buy clothes from your trips abroad?
LV: I actually wish I did a bit more of shopping during my last trip overseas, I tend to be an over packer and spend extra money on the luggage fees as I will be a few ounces or a couple pounds over the limit. So I know on my next trip to take advantage of the shopping overseas, but really with everything available online it is easy to get regardless, and that is 90% how I shop anymore.

F-P: What piece would you place in a fashion museum?
LV: Not sure if I have anything in my closet museum worthy, but a piece I was able to paint on from a local designer Melissa May here in Denver when I collaborated with 303 Magazine I might want to see displayed. Click here to see it.

Paolo Roversi Series

F-P: What is a key item that all wardrobes should have?
LV: Quality neutral pieces that will stand the test of time, well fitted pants, a jacket and dress.

F-P: Would you like to live in another era?
LV: I can understand the character in Midnight to Paris, his wish to live in the 20's in Paris. I tend to gravitate towards the 50's as far as style and how I edit my photographs. But in truth, I am in the moment and love exactly where I am.

F-P: What inspires you?
LV: Fashion, music, editorials, classic black and white film. Each day though so many things can inspire me, if anything I am over inspired, but I have to just create as things come and note the inspirations if I cannot do anything from them at the moment.


F-P: What is your favourite material to use?
LV: The past few years have been gravitating towards watercolors more often than not. And of course I love my camera, but it really depends day to day and on my mood.

Royal Refined

F-P: What is your fashion fetish?
LV: Shoes. 

F-P: What is your latest fashion obsession?


LV: Shoes ;)
 
F-P: How do you determine what is chic?


LV: If it feels right, works for you it is always chic.

F-P: Is there anything else you would like to share with our readers?


LV: Always stick to being you, whether it be in fashion, or your passion elsewhere. There are so many constant influences that will be the thing at the moment, grab it for you if it works, or mix the trend in what already works for you, but invest in just that, you.

Twilight Blue

All images courtesy of Leigh Viner©

Push



No comments:

Post a Comment